Thursday, December 13, 2012

Birthday Blahs/Hoorahs!

Sunday. My birthday. I'll be 32. That's spelled THIRTY-TWO! Am I the only one that it is bothering? My body fell apart when I hit 30. Just like everyone said it would. All those years I had hoped those folks were lying, but they weren't. I start my day with 4 ibuprofen. I pop 4 ibuprofen at lunchtime. I throw back 4 ibuprofen at bedtime. That's a bad sign. My birthday is 9 days before Christmas. It always lands on a Christmas office party day or some day a large debt is due by. I realize that I am sounding like a pessimist. That's not me. I am very rarely down in the dumps.  But I am feeling the need to name some reasons why I should be happy about turning 32. And the survey says:

   Birthdays rain presents. You get to constantly say"Ohh, for me!? You shouldn't have!"

  It's the perfect justification for those new pair of shoes. Hey, you deserve to treat yourself to a present. Or two. Or five. Whatever. No one is counting. Bills can wait!  It's my birthday!

   Tummy, thighs, butt, legs, and chin, say hello to my caloric friend. Frosting.  


    Another year older should mean another year wiser. Of course, the obligatory word here is should. 

    I can suck all of the helium out of my birthday balloons and sing myself happy birthday like a champ.
 
 I will be able to sport a perma-grin the entire day.

 
Now steaming through my third decade,  I don’t have to make the bloopers I made in my teens and twenties. (But I was kinda fun then too - maybe I still will on purpose this time)

With years of practice comes true skill. For instance, I don't have to use recipes to cook and I know how to soothe a baby without looking in a book for clues.

I can be silly and giggly ALL DAY. It’s a day that no one is going to mind if I sing, blow bubbles, frolic and dance or just laugh a lot. I can be kid. But I can enjoy acting like a kid as a grownup.

 Facebook. That's right. Friends, non-friends, strange dude I saw one time at wal-mart and yahoos I don't even know, blowing up my wall with HBD. For a second there, I almost forgot what a notification was. Thumbs up to everyone for making me feel cool on my birthday.

KIDS/HUSBAND - For one day I actually do get to be the Queen. I tease them about this rank all year, but on December 16th - they really do fun things for me. Nothing royal, but then again that's ok, because I never did like the color purple.

Girlfriends! Ahhhh I love my girlfriends! There is no better therapy! I have no doubt that they will surround me with gag gifts, tons of food and pranks! Inappropriate memories!  I can't wait!

OK, I've talked myself right out of dreading my birthday now. BRING IT ON THIRTY-TWO!




 

2 comments:

  1. I loooooooooooooooooove you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a spring chicken!! And I will be there to suck helium and do crazy things with ya. So enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete